Tuesday, December 17, 2013
20 Years
Posted at 5:44 PM
0 comments (+)
Taken from my quiz on The Five Disciplines for the subject, Systems Dynamics.
Based on the disciplines, what do you want to be 20 years from now and what are you doing to set that goal?
For a number of years, I keep getting interrogated by my Mother on what kind of business I would like to put up in the future. I never was vocal on the thought seeing that I hadn’t decided on it yet. I thought of tangible products I could manufacture or retail but it was a difficult process. Adding to that, trends easily change in a short period of time, which contributes to the fact that competition today is a challenge. Upon entering college, I was open to countless forms of opportunities that took me out of my comfort zone. That event broadened my plans for the future and most importantly, gave me the answer to what I’ve been looking for.
In 20 years I shall be an established founder of a corporation whose companies specialize in both advertising and production. An advertising firm is defined as an organization that (1) creates new promotional ideas, (2) designs print, radio, television, and internet advertisements, (3) books advertisement space and time, (4) plans and conducts advertising campaigns, (5) commissions research and surveys, and (6) provides other such services that help a client in entering and succeeding in a chosen market (Business Dictionary, n.d.). On the other hand, a production company provides the physical basis for works in the realms of the performing arts, new media art, film, television, radio, and video (Vadgama, 2012). Moreover, I’m not only a businesswoman but also a film and theatre actress and a photographer.
I choose to build this as they reflect both what I specialize in at the present. As a college student majoring in Business Management (and Communication Arts in a few terms) and the present Division Manager for Marketing of Harlequin Theatre Guild, I would be able to apply everything I have learned in the corporate world. The methodologies I have learned in the classroom would well match with the applications and networking I have developed in the guild. As an artist, whose love for theatre and photography has been my source of reason, I would be able to share my thoughts artistically on everyday life. This has guaranteed me that tangible product/s aren’t a necessity to success.
In relation to the Five Disciplines of Learning Organizations, my vision for the future in terms of Systems Thinking shows my significance and contribution to myself and to the world around me. My works would show how its message connects to the world as it advocates problems most of us are blinded from. Harlequin Theatre Guild values Filipino art and culture and if I didn’t join this organization, I wouldn’t be able to appreciate what’s already in front of me. I used to patronize Western culture, having low admiration for the local arts and culture. Being in the guild has opened me to the beauty that Filipino artists work hard for. But before anything else, I need to keep my value for learning intact to remind me on why I do this. Learning would bring me beyond my imagination, refining who I am in every aspect and on how I can maximize the value of life. Personal Mastery would make me realize on what I should commit myself to for the fulfillment of this goal. I need to keep practicing and improving my skills for my betterment. My education comes with a price and it’s only best that I use my time wisely and savor every day of it. On top of that, struggles would surely come along which is why I need to be open for the changes that will transpire. Mental Model would indicate my attitude through all this. My decisions affect my approach to the experiences I get.
Moreover, I need people around me to keep me going. I know I can’t do it alone. I know that I should work together with the people whose passion I share with and we need to foster building a shared vision. I learn to value commitment and teamwork, as we all should instill engagement in our work rather than compliance. In the end I get to have a second family because of the bond and growth we have been through and that’s the fruit of Team Learning.