Wednesday, November 21, 2012
The Value of Education Nowadays Posted at 2:44 AM 0 comments (+)

Whenever I browse around the Internet for reviews on professors for my subjects during enlistment period, I find it disappointing (somewhat infuriating) whenever students would first ask if the certain professor they have inquired about is an easy 4.0. Is that how education should be nowadays? Does our goal in college mainly focus on passing all the required subjects for our major and clasp on a piece of document that secures our fate?

The need to earn high marks on our student record is inevitable. Most people would choose the easier and effortless way to pass a subject rather than work hard for it. Back in the third term of my first year, I immediately adjusted a class once I found out I had a terror professor who was also known for giving low and failing marks. I based my decision from the experience of my roommate, Justine, who found it difficult to appreciate the class because of the way he taught and graded.

This term I don't have any math subjects due to the unavailability of open sections. I don't stress out much as I hope it to be compared with my previous terms. I don't sleep late enough for me to cram and finish school works. And I don't feel challenge in what I do. I feel unproductive and unworthy.

I believe such level of difficulty is necessary for every individual. We are in college to build a career in the future and it's not an easy task to reach what most affluent people have at present. We chose - or rather was forced into - our course for a reason. There's always going to be a twist in every situation that challenges us to reach our full potential. Numbers on the school server would matter for the meantime but it wouldn't seal the deal for the rest of our lives. It's always going to depend on how we deal on the situation and how we maximize our skills.

This kind of situation makes me think of how education should be. I don't care how terror the professor is as long as he teaches well and knows what he's doing. Amidst the pain schoolwork can be, the outcome of the hard work should be fruitful, regardless of the equivalence of the final grade. Whether I get a bad or good grade, I know I worked hard for it and most importantly, I learned a lot from it.

I am fond of teachers who can teach casually without having to rely so much on the book. Their lessons are based from their own knowledge and understanding while they could translate it into a kind of application from our own environment. I won't mind doing so much home works just as long as the professor can expound the information we've gathered on a much better mood and interesting way during class.

I perform better when professors are approachable. I can ask questions that bug my mind in class without being reprimanded for my incomprehension. I understand better when lessons are illustrated with personal situations. Most of all, I appreciate the class when I see the professor loves what he does - simply because he is inspired. Moreover, I commend professors who can capture the interest of a student, who originally was tedious towards the subject, making that newly founded enthusiasm last the entire term and eventually makes a turn of events for the student.

The purpose of education has been altered over time. Centuries ago, Greeks went to universities because they were eager to learn, hence, the profuse amount of historical figures whom we greatly credit for our foundations. At present, most importantly in Filipino culture, education is the means to survive life - to avoid poverty and earn money for sustainability. The desire to learn is lackluster. Education has become a prerequisite to live in an aggressive civilization.

From what I have at the moment, I have no clear idea of where I'll be years from now after college. Will the education I've acquired, spent nearly a quarter of a million for every year, pay off as I launch into a prosperous career? Or will life keep challenging me with life-changing thoughts and decisions to make me a better person?

Ending this early morning contemplation… For those who have the habit of choosing easy 4.0 professors, drop out of college already. What's the point of even studying? Give your slot to those who want and deserve it.

Labels: ,

About
JANELLA
20-year old lost child wandering the figments of imagination.
instagram
tags
contact
jac.gngt@gmail.com
Credits
Layout by mymostloved with script, background and image.