Saturday, April 16, 2011
Local TV Shows Posted at 1:29 PM 0 comments (+)
In today's issue of The Philippine Star (Saturday, April 16 2011), there are two sections of the newspaper where local television is discussed. Basing from what I read, both sections eventually lead to the issue of child abuse in Willing Willie. Not going to lie, the opinions stated from the people are rightfully true. (At least there's one positive remark - check out number 8)

The first is from Inbox World: Readers' views and opinions on top issues of the day. Below is the question given and some answers sent in.

What do you think of local television shows in general?

(1) Decade after decade, we see the same rehashed, retarded, slow plots on local TV.

(2) TV shows are mainly directed to the lower class, who constitute the majority and are therefore commercially valuable. It's an effective diversion, too.

(3) TV shows that appear to be pro-poor, giving away cash/prizes dominate the Philippine television landscape. Giant TV networks try to outsmart each other for the coveted rating, which ultimately translates to huge revenues. They present game shows designed to attract contestants of all ages who aim to shoot for the moon to become instant millionaires or at least to ease their financial difficulties. Giving away hefty prizes is precisely the reason why Revillame's game show rates high among the masa. Unfortunately, the host and/or show is not the object of batikos among self-righteous individuals/group. As the clamor grows by the day, the very existence of the game shows that holds closet to the heart of the less fortunate ones now appears doomed (who's behind all this is anybody's guess).

(4) Because of the brouhaha over the child abuse issue on another game show, local TV shows should take a long hard look and reexamine themselves if they should be held accountable and morally responsible. There will be criticisms of local TV shows, but they are here to stay, to keep our sanity intact and, in fairness, they challenge, enlighten, and entertain our boring evenings.

(5) TV programming is a ruthless and cutthroat business among networks, ready to ruin and destroy competitors to preserve their gains and satisfy their greed.

(6) Media is there to inform, entertain, and educate. Sad to say, only a few TV programs could educate their viewers and telenovelas emphasize violence and hatred.

(7) Television shows in general would rather appeal more to the emotions of the viewers than their sense of logic and practicality.

(8) Local television shows contribute a lot of values formation. They depict the acts of selfless love, love of hard work, patriotism, success stories of individual personalities, triumph of goodness over evil, and the uniqueness of the Filipino culture.

(9) It doesn't evolve, and is still the same as in the olden days, depicting the stagnant Philippines economy and society as well. I hope it could be more intellectual, but the storylines just keep repeating themselves.

(10) A good television show builds original storylines, not remakes.

(11) They're mostly foreign show knock-offs.

Second if from Supreme. An article entitled "Wanted: Quality TV Shows" by Ping Medina. (Link)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who dislikes local TV shows. A little fact: I was a huge fan of local television shows and movies when I was young, thanks to our housemaids who I miss terribly up to this day. Everyday we sit on the couch and enjoy ourselves in front of telenovelas from both Kapamilya and Kapuso networks and movies from Cinema One. I was a big fan of the Claudine Barretto-Rico Yan tandem and I will never forget the day I went to SM North Edsa to see the stars of my favorite show, Sana ay Ikaw Na Nga (in which I got separated from my cousin due to the crowdedness - I was 8).

In the present, I barely watch local TV except for the news. The only decent telenovela I've seen - occasionally - for the past decade is Magkaribal. I pretty much enjoy foreign TV shows and movies because they have a storyline that strongly attracts me plus the various actors who play their role well. And another, the video quality the takes months and even years to prepare for. It's definitely worth the wait.

Labels: ,

About
JANELLA
20-year old lost child wandering the figments of imagination.
instagram
tags
contact
jac.gngt@gmail.com
Credits
Layout by mymostloved with script, background and image.