Saturday, September 6, 2008
Keep your head in the game!
Posted at 4:25 PM
0 comments (+)
I thought yesterday's training would be the usual: suicide rounds of jogging, more practice on my spikes, and a satisfied feeling at the end, but this was surreal.I planned heading straight to Trinoma after class dismisses but I was told that if I did not show up for Friday’s training, I could be kicked off in the team. Anyway, it was also Coach Maui’s birthday that day and we surprised him by entering the gym with balloons and a cake. As his “gift”, he shorten our span of jogging by one court instead of two (One court is in the gym and the other is a basketball court that is found on the field – we jog there through a pathway they built that starts from the gym).
We first practiced our spikes and did an exercise that made us dig and set the ball. The latter part was where Coach Mark, who arrived earlier, got really mad at me. What I understood is, you can’t move out of your place after digging the ball but after you set the ball, you are to line up again to give way to the next player. I thought I was following it correctly but my teammates keep pushing me after I dig the ball so they could be next.
I gave way because I thought they knew what they were doing. I observed them while it was their turn but didn’t bother to ask questions because they were concentrating. I was dead lost during all my turns and I didn’t do anything right for once. I did what the others do but I was still wrong. When I went out to line up again, Coach Mark shouted, “Chinkie! Karol! (my teammates) Talk to her later or else I might kick her out.” Hearing that, I almost cried but I did not allow myself to be weak. I keep shouting in my mind, WAKE UP!, every time it would my turn but nothing won’t do.
The last exercise was receiving heavy spikes and of course, Coach Mark hit the ball with all his might. I was the last to receive and I knew he what he wanted. I got a grip of myself and fortunately, I received the balls properly. My arm pained once from the very strong spike he made, and the other flew all over the gym, but I was happy, I did it properly.
After cooling down, we all sat by the corner and had a small talk. Coach made some reviews and for me: “We now have few members for the team because of the results of the grades of some people during the first quarter. You are very fortunate to be here but you have to show and prove to me you deserve your slot.”
After that, I promised myself to do better next time and I will keep my head in focus, no matter how awesome the band will be playing on that day. I didn’t get to sleep very well after that, things keep coming to me but at least I still had a smile during the rest of the night.